Thursday, October 15, 2009

Fair weather dog?

When we were considering getting a border collie, everything I read from the border collie experts--I think of them now as the BC Police--emphasized the we MUST be willing to exercise our dog in all kinds of weather: snow, sleet, rain, tornadoes, whatever. Well, these people don't know Zorro. It has rained most of this week and he can't understand why I keep hauling him outside. Denny took him out this morning, and they were back in less than 20 minutes. Recalling Zorro's earlier weather phobias, I asked Denny if Zorro had been afraid. "He wasn't fearful, he was annoyed," Denny said. When the rain intensified, Zorro tried to walk under the trees, so he wouldn't get wet. Another argument in favor of getting an older dog.
An otherwise calm week: took him out last night (only a light rain) and we encountered a guy walking his dog. I directed Zorro off the path and got him in a sit. He did pretty well--he strained to look but didn't bark--but he was definitely tested, because the dog walker stopped to talk on his cellphone! I can't imagine what was so important that he couldn't put down the phone and walk his dog. I ended up walking Zorro in the other direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment