Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Dogs with issues

An interesting day. I took Pam and her rescue dog, Silver, to see a veterinary behavioralist. It was located in a strip mall in Germantown. The behaviorist, Dr. Kathryn Meyer, shares the clinic with her husband, who is an animal allergist. So while I was in the waiting room, I entertained myself by trying to figure out which dogs were crazy and which ones just had a bad rash.
I liked Dr. Meyer--she was reassuring, and told Pam she's seen dogs with far worse aggression problems than Silver (a previous vet told Pam that she would have to put the dog to sleep). Basic conclusion was that Silver is an introvert and kind of cranky and there's not much Pam can do about that. Training regiments are complicated by the fact that Silver is deaf.
I mentioned to Dr. Meyer that I have a border collie with "issues," and she said, "There's no such thing as a border collie who doesn't have issues."
Managed to get Zorro out for a walk this morning but he was skittish tonight and didn't want to go far. Will try again later.

http://www.veterinarybehaviorclinic.com/aboutUs.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment