Friday, March 19, 2010

Counting canines

When we were kids, my brother and I used to play a car game called Cow. We would each take one side of the road and count all the cows we saw. If we passed a cemetary, the first to call out "Graveyard" would kill all the other's cows. Player with the most cows at the end of the trip was the winner (needless to say, this worked much better on country roads than on the interstate).
Even then, my eyesight was pretty bad. Sometimes I counted goats, sheep and horses, mistaking them for cows. My parents realized I needed glasses when I started counting chickens.
I wear contact lenses now, but I still have trouble with distances, especially when it's dark. And that has created challenges on my walks with Zorro, when I'm always on the lookout for other dogs. We're enjoying a bout of spring-like weather, so there are more dogs on the path. And because we switched to daylight savings time last week, it's dark in the morning.
Just like the old days, I've occasionally diverted Zorro to avoid what turned out to be a stroller, or a little kid. But I'm learning some tricks. If I see a runner coming toward me and I can see both arms, I know that one of them isn't attached to a leash.

No comments:

Post a Comment