Sunday, January 17, 2010

Running with Zorro

I'm trying to teach Zorro that running with us is his job, and that he can't just stop and sniff the bushes whenever he feels like it. After consulting with some other border collie owners on the message board, I've worked out a system: when he starts to edge toward a tree or bush, I say, "let's go!" and give his leash a yank. The trick is to correct him before he has buried his nose in the grass or a snowbank, and praise him when he stays on the path.
So far, it's working out pretty well--too well, to be honest. Zorro has decided that if running is good, then running fast must be even better! If there are other runners ahead of us, he wants to pass them. This, of course, means that eventually I need to slow down to catch my breath, which gives him a chance to sniff and explore. Smart dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment