Monday, November 2, 2009

Dogs everywhere

Took Zorro for what I had planned to be a short run yesterday afternoon, but it ended up being a real test of endurance and patience. It seemed like every dog in Arlington and surrounding jurisdictions was out for a walk. Maybe it was because daylight savings time ended Saturday and everybody wanted to get a walk in before dark.
Normally, when I see another dog coming I'll try and take a sideways route, or head in the other direction. But yesterday, it seemed like every time I turned around, I encountered another dog coming towards us.
Zorro did pretty well, considering. I put him into multiple "sit-stays" and ran out of treats pretty fast. He didn't bark or lunge--although he sure did crain his neck--until the very end, when he lost it over a wiry white dog coming down the path by our house. I think that dog started it; he was yanking on his leash and trying to get at Zorro.
When we got back inside the gate, Zorro raced around the yard, probably overcome by pent-up energy. But it wasn't too long before he was knocked out, and as the trainers like to say, a tired dog is a good dog.
Now that the weather is cooler, he wants to run forever. This morning, we came up behind one of the women who participates in boot camp near our house. She was running with some difficulty, and I was tempted to ask her if she wanted to borrow my dog. He'll speed up anyone's pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment